http://jazzyjj.wordpress.com/ Cats, Rats & WoW: Vet Rant

Friday 8 February 2008

Vet Rant

It's been a week today since we lost Stanny, and I get home tonight to find a bill from the vet. £15 'exotic euthanasia'. Over the last 14 months I've spent close to £1,000 with that vet, and just...would you not think....maybe just once....they could forget it? Or at least...give me a little more time before firing a reminder of last Friday at me? I've had to go through the hassle of calling them up and paying over the phone, getting all teary again, all for the sake of a measly £15. I've always been a fan of my local vet since moving here, but over the last few weeks...I'm getting tired of them. When they anaesthetised Noggin to see if his lump was an abscess or a tumour they ended up charging me £89 - just for knocking him out, deciding it was an inoperable tumour and putting him to sleep. And that time I had to pay there and then. I'm about through with them I think.

Classifying rats as exotics is just ridiculous. They're, God love 'em, vermin. I adore them and wouldn't be without them, but there's nothing bloody exotic about them it's just a way to squeeze more cash out of you all the time.

Time to look around for a new vet I think.

4 comments:

Dragonheart, Merlin, Devi, and Chloe said...

Sorry to hear that you lost your rat. :( I guess maybe they are considered exotics because they aren't a dog or cat? Good luck finding a new vet.

Victor Tabbycat said...

That's sad. Mine Mom an Dad had a pet rat when they moofed from Catifornia to Ill-Annoy, an peeps thought rats were pests, not pets. Two Socks got tumors an had to be put down; no one would consider actyoully treating a rat then. Mom had to pay right away an choose how the euthanasia would be done - cheap or expensive. Ouch!!!

Sending the bill like that is thoughtless. Would they do that to a little old lady who just lost her only friend in the world?

Let's send Bonnie to hiss at that vet.

Sabrina, Sam and Simon said...

We also think is time for you to find an new and perhaps more sympathetic V-E-T too. Stop by and see us, we have an award for you that hopefully will cheer you up!
Sabrina, Sam and Simon

The Lee County Clowder said...

In a mild defense of the V*T, that bill was probably generated by a computer, and sent out by a secretary or bookkeeper somewhere as part of a couple dozen.

Beyond that, we kinda agree with the rest. If you've been using that V*T for a long time, charging you -- dunning you -- for something like that is cold, heartless even. We would certainly ask around amongst friends, relatives, total strangers on the bus, customers at the local bar, and anyone else we met to see if there was someone else better around somewhere close.

We're sorry. For all of it.